Latest Posts

The Infernal Devices Love Triangle: Sun vs Flower

By A Lovely Wallflower 03:01 ,

 

We don't always agree on things, like how the relationships between Tessa and Will and Jem of the Infernal Devices played out. In summary its:

  • Sun - "YAS TESSA AND WILL, hmm nooo thanks Tessa and Jem"
  • Flower - "I'M GOOD WITH A THREESOME"
But discussing it goes like this...

Sun: This love triangle is really conflicting, at first you have no idea what to feel and which side to choose, or whether we are obligated to choose a side at all- at first Jem and Will's close relationship made me believe that picking a side would be wrong. It's pretty clear this love triangle parallels the one in A Tale of Two Cities which ironically is the book Tessa and Will bond over and  plays a part in there love flourishing as seen through Will's letter to Tessa- "When I read it for the second time, with an open mind and heart, I had the most complete despair and Envy of Sydney Carton, Yes Sydney. At least he could tell her of his love. For even if he had no hope that the woman he loved would love him back at least he could do something to prove his passion even if that thing was to die."
 If you want to read the rest watch this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-F7HUgPXw
 but to warn you I was an emotional wreck by the end. His letter was one of the most beautiful thing's i've ever read in my life. When I read this letter I truly understood what Will's love meant and I knew that it was an undying love, stronger then Jem's ever could be. A real love is one that transforms us into the people we were meant to be- Jem was always the same person with Tessa. They say you can't divide your heart- yet Tessa did. I have no right to criticize I just don't think it's possible to feel the exact same way about 2 different people, that's what bases my logic that there is a huge difference between loving someone and being in love with someone and these 2 concepts are so often confused by people When Tessa got her happily ever after twice, I realised that her love for Will was different to Will's love for her and that broke my heart. On the other hand I can see Cassandra Clare's reason for doing this; her love was different because she was immortal, like Magnus she couldn't possess an undying love the way he did. But in all honestly I would've liked it better without the Epilogue- some things are better off left to the imagination and I was more then willing for this something to be one of them.
 






Flower: I disagree with Sun. I like to go with the stance that each relationship is unique and we don't have a single 'true love' because 'true love' can happen with anyone if fate allows it. If the guys were okay with it, I wouldn't have minded Tessa, Will and Jem having a polygamous relationship to be honest.

Sure, Will and Tessa had a passionate and amazing love story but why does that lessen the feelings Jem and Tessa have? It doesn't mean Jem's feelings for Tessa are less valid or significant. It doesn't mean Tessa's indecisive or her love for Will is lessened. Just because Tessa is able to find true love and appreciate the people Will and Jem are, why must she constrain her feelings to only one? You can't choose who or what you love.

One quote I really like is this: 

“According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves." (The Symposium, Plato) 

My definition of "true love", however, is an alteration of this. I think we all have missing limbs somewhere, and there are many people who could complement us perfectly.

Sometimes true love turns you into a better person. Sometimes true love helps you to accept who you are. The aforementioned are Tessa's relationships with Will and Jem, respectively, and I love that Cassandra Clare showed the diversity of true love.

Of course Will's love for Tessa would be different to her love for him. They both loved each other but how one experiences love is dependent solely on them. Clearly, Sun and I will be having very different dating and love experiences haha.

Oh and BTW I loved the epilogue. I even read the smut that Cassandra Clare wrote that accompanies it (ITS SO STEAMY HOLY MOLY). Don't worry, its not cringeworthy. Cassandra managed to write smut with class; she needs to teach some authors how to not go freaky with their explicit scenes!



Conclusion...

We are still going to disagree on this and argue. Even though its fictional. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments