Latest Posts

Shadowhunters TV Series 2016: Thoughts

By A Lovely Wallflower 01:36 , , , ,

For our first official blog post, we thought we'd talk a little bit about the new Shadowhunters TV show that's coming up. We've had heated discussions over Facebook about this, especially since we've been avid fans of the series since our 13 year old days. 
So here you have it, the first SUN VS FLOWER discussion.

FLOWER's thoughts

WARNING: The Mortal Instruments was one of my earlier reads that got me into young adult books as a teen. This is not a hate post, but I am certainly not ecstatic about the show for the following reasons. 

Blech filming effects
I’m not sure if it’s because the uploaders tweaked with video filters, but all the snippets I’ve seen of Shadowhunters has that distasteful “let’s emphasise bright colours” effect commonly found in those “beauty guru” Youtube videos (e.g. maybaby, alisha marie and co). Okay for Youtube, not okay for The Mortal Instruments series. Like what is this? A show marketed for tweens?
Because let me tell you, the tweens and teens that read this series years ago have grown quite older now thank you very much. I think everyone will appreciate a more mature and less fan-service approach.


Over dramatising E V E R Y T H I N G
Sigh.
There’s this consistent thing I’ve seen in the clips where everything has badass music and badass videoing but you need simplicity to contrast with badassery to actually make something badass. Ja feel?
It has that cheap aftertaste of something wanting to be cool, but it will always remain in that wannabe status.



A+ actors, F- acting
Clary is flirty? Uh, okay.
When I heard about the actors I was screaming because I knew most of them had excellent acting skills. But the portrayal… Uh...

I’m not sure who the blame is to be placed on - the actor reading the script, the writers and producers making the script or the people who let the show be filmed this way - but the teasers make me cringe!
Clary is constantly batting her eyelashes and that tough, sarcastic badass girl image I always had of her was ultimately destroyed in less than one minute. 

Oh, does Clary’s fascination really make her all the more intriguing, Jace? Are you really going to lean in and tease the f*ck out of him, but in that sly flirty way instead of snarky? YEAH NO I’M OUT. 

The characters and their uniqueness were the essence of the stories for me and to have it blotched like this is painful. I'm hella excited for Magnus though.

Flower's Conclusion: Let’s not play Kodaline and have High Hopes


SUN's thoughts

Characters
Jace
I’ve only seen him act in Vampire Academy, he was really sexy in that even though the movie sucked and was a big disappointment compared to the book. Not sure  how I feel about this one yet, he’s a good actor and sexier then movie Jace but i’m not sure how well he can act in the romantic scenes with the girl that was chosen for clary. So if they have no chemistry as actors that’s really gonna suck for the show.  


Simon
He was a good choice but Robert Sheenan the movie Simon was better and it’s speculated that there was a large fan base supporting him to play the Simon for the show and believe me I am one of those fans. The Simon that was chosen for the movie as an actor has had a lot more experience and much more of an emotional range in his acting style- He was the only one in the movie to make me laugh and never ceased to do it, yet in certain scenes like where he told Clary how he feels he made my heart sink. The movie Simon retains a particular quirkiness in character that makes him better suited to the role. Although i’m more then happy to give the Simon they picked a chance as from what i’ve seen, besides Magnus he’s the character with the most personality.     


Clary
Agree with flower she is very flirtatious. I have seen all the trailers and sneak peeks and she acted this way on more than 3 occasions. So needless to say I found her character and her acting different to the character described and written in the book. I understand that it takes time for actors and actresses to settle into their roles, but through every trailer i’ve seen my convictions have been very consistent. Her acting is so unbelievable it should be a crime. She killed a demon for the first time, she thought it was a human and her facial expressions should’ve looked horrified instead it looked like a facial expression that belonged in a Mean Girls movie like when ppl post bad crap online about you calling u a bitch and your like “oh no girl you did not just say that (GASP) !!!!!”


Alec and Isabelle-
THEY BARELY SPEAK IN THE TRAILERS. I’m not sure if Isabelle is enough of a badass yet. I have to wait for the actual thing I suppose. As for Alec he is sexy as hell, i’m in love but again I have to wait for the actual thing to see if he lives up to book Alec’s reputation.


Magnus
Harry Shum Jnr is an amazing actor. I’ve seen him act several times before in Glee and the Step up films. He was honestly one of the most believable characters in the trailers and sneak peeks. All I can say is that boy better bust out some of his sexy killer dance moves.


Other characters- Who really cares?


Time jump
Can I just say how weird it is that older actors always play the younger characters. Movie Clary and Jace looked way too old to play 16 year olds, yet in the tv show Clary and Jace are now 18, yet the characters chosen to play them could’ve passed for 15-17. Like WTF?


Style
The good thing about fictional representations on screen is that even with supernatural elements, the directors make the world seem realistic by centralizing the character’s emotions but these trailers go a bit too heavy on the effects- the lighting, music it’s all just way too much and takes away from the characters and the world there trying to portray. Like if I wanted crap like that i’d watch a music video- NO THANKYOU!!!




It's safe to say we don't want to be disappointed.



[Image from MundieMoms.]



You Might Also Like

0 comments