Shadowhunter Lovers
Its no secret that we love Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series and her other Shadowhunter works (oh wait, they're her only works). It also shouldn't be a secret that we love Shadowhunter guys, so here's a little breakdown on why we love 'em!
Note- Flower writes sentences and Sun writes essays.
So, why do we love...
Jace Herondale
Sun: In all honesty, ever since I fell in love with the character of Will Herondale, Jace as a character doesn't stuperfy or astonish me as much. But don't get me wrong I have the utmost respect and appreciation for this character. I think it was Jace's sharp wit that first made me fall in love with his character and how he used his wit to hide his own inadequacies, insecurities and his strong moral core. Thus as a character he was much like a complex puzzle, I kept reading because I wanted to figure him out. Plus I noticed qualities in him that I recognized in myself such as his use of sarcasm as a defensive weapon. Also it doesn't hurt that his as much a badass with a seraph blade as he is with his tongue.
Flower: Jace is that douchebag guy who's amazing at the same time and who you wonder why you ever loved. I think its his charm and angelic hotness that won me over when I was 13 LOL.
Alec Lightwood
Sun: All the cinematic representations of him so far are hotter then Jace, which i'm sure breaks many girls heart's as it did mine, after they discover he is gay. However, no one can deny that the relationship between him and Magnus wasn't cleverly constructed and that there hearts didn't break when they broke up, as characters they had a lot of chemistry. In regards to his personality he is very wise, mature in his decision-making, protective of his family and knows how to keep Jace his parabaitai in line. So he possesses many admirable qualities.
Flower: *Blushes* Okay so um... Its been a while since I read the books and I don't remember the details of this dude, except he and Magnus have a bittersweet romance and I like him.
Simon Lewis
Sun: Well Flower that's a lie- because I loved Simon at first due to his quirkiness and then in the middle of the book series he was boring, for a while there I actually liked Jordan better. At first, I felt sorry for Simon, he fell for his best friend who didn't feel the same way and he had to overcome many obstacles, like Clary he entered a supernatural world except he wasn't a shadowhunter, he was human. So his character is certainly one of strength. However, his character is redeemed in the later books as he finds his real love and gets what he wants in the end. But never has his character ceased to make me laugh, he always had the funniest and most quotable quotes.
Flower: Everyone, and I mean everyone, I knew hated Simon at first but he eventually grows on you. Maybe its because he's quirky and so uniquely him.
Magnus Bane
Sun: Sexy Asian- flower should have a lot to say on this one. Magnus is basically the God of the shadowhunter world- he's there through it all. Anyone who can live as long as he has and not get tired of living as well as someone who's life becomes intertwined with many others, most of which ultimately end up dead should be commended. Also basically anything flower said I agree.
Flower: Wow, Sun. I'm not sure what to say about your comment to be honest, but he needs his own TV show called 'Everyone Loves Magnus'. Although I'm not like a super duper hardcore Magnus fan as I am for Gabriel Lightwood (EEEK) he's just a terrific character. This guy goes through centuries of living, losing the people he loves and being constantly dragged back into Shadowhunter mess when he just really wants to be left alone. Let's raise our wine glasses to the real hero of the Shadowhunter world - Magnus! Haha
Will Herondale
Sun: I have no words- i could spend a lifetime confessing my love for this character. Every quote, every mannerism, every interest, every action, every thought of his touches my heart and soul in a way that no one will ever understand. I read the mortal instruments first and fell in love with Jace but I'm a big history freak so when I read the Infernal devices it was like a more in-depth and mysterious version of Jace in a more alluring and unfamiliar time period. Let's just say after reading clockwork princess I went through a long grieving period.
Flower: I love this guy as much as I do his parabatai (I always pronouce this word 'para-party' haha) and no. 1 soulmate Jem. The fact that he loves books and is charming as heck really wins over the book lovers. Like his descendent, he seems like an arse but he has a really good heart through and through. You can't break his bonds with the people he loves so easily.
Jem Carstairs
Sun: FYI flower, I do not hate Jem I actually really like Jem. The only thing I hate about Jem is the fact he ends up with Tessa, don't get me wrong, cheers to Cassandra Clare for creating a clever and unconventional ending in which the heroine gets a happily ever after twice over with the two loves of her life. But, unlike flower I don't agree with it I think it diminishes Will and Tessa's undying, everlasting and binding love and certainly should violate some kind of best friend rule. Then again, perhaps that logic doesn't apply to immortals. However, throughout the trilogy I found Jem to be caring, sensitive to others and despite his sickly condition always puts others above himself especially his parabaitai Will and also Tessa. He's always been a noble character in my eyes.
Flower: Sun hates Jem but what's there not to like? Sweet, as handsome as he is beautiful, loyal Jem Carstairs. *sigh* I actually shipped Tessa, Will and Jem in a three since book 1 so I was totally happy with how things ended ;) EDIT: I don't think anything can diminish what Tessa and Will had, Sun. I always considered Will and Jem to be two halves of one person since I'm oh-so-spiritual like that. I think the "two happily ever afters" represents how each relationship you have with someone is individual and unique, and that there is no ONE definite true love. C'mon Sun, you watch OUAT you should know haha.
Gabriel Lightwood
Sun: He falls for his enemies sister- need I say more. But if I must say more who doesn't love a badass hearthrob with emotional baggage e.g. he's slug of a father and that in the end proves himself as the good guy. I suck at maths but the standard equation seems to be Bad guy+ Good girl= Good Guy. This book was brilliantly no exception. Much like Alec his descendent he has a tough side but once you get past that you see a more vulnerable side.
Flower: Bad boy gone good with killer looks and a good heart. Yum. Out of all the Shadowhunter men we've met, he's the one I'd marry js.
Gideon Lightwood
Sun: He hides scones under his bed as an excuse to talk to Sophie AKA the woman he loves (if you say you didn't like that part I will find you and I will kill you) and he very easily looks past her imperfections such as the scar on her face. Also even though she's a maid, he believes she's destined for greatness and convinces her to become a Shadowhunter. Thus he is sweet and an optimist constantly seeing the beauty in the world.
Flower: Sun said everything I had to say actually.
Henry Branwell
Sun: I find his obssession with mechanics and inventing amusing, his kindness is overwhelming and his dedication to his tasks is staggering. It made me happy to see how his inventions and dedication to them payed off and how in the end he saved everyone's ass. I can't wait to read about him as a father figure when The Last Hours comes out.
Flower: Nicest, cutest, sweetest puppy dog-eyed guy ever! He loves and cares about people with all his heart <3
So tell us, which Shadowhunter guy (or girl) has won your heart?
[Image taken from http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/48864688896/will-and-jem-through-the-years-by-cassandra, by tumblr user jacefrayed]
0 comments