MOCKINGJAY PART 2- FILM REVIEW
* Caution this review may contain spoilers for both The Hunger Games franchise, the Divergent franchise or The Maze Runner Franchise
In one word lets call the conclusion to the epic generational series The Hunger Games.......Bittersweet. In fact that pretty much sums up the entire franchise.
So was this it? Was this the end to the epic conclusion? Real or not real?
Unfortunately real
(for those of you who don't understand this reference you are shameful, please leave right now)
Panem is no more
But don't worry
because in our hearts it's- Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever.
General note-
- I just want to lay all the cards on the table and tell you despite how negative the points below may sound- I absolutely love The Hunger Games franchise, I just simply try to explore all points of view before making my own conclusions.
- Part 1, Part 2- Too little and then too much. Let me explain........ so these days epic film series always seem to follow a commercial pattern, in that the last film is always split into part 1 and part 2- driven by an insatiable hunger the industry has for box office hits and financial success that seems to have no end. These days it's practically the rule of the universe if there is a way to make more money, you go for it no questions asked even if it results in lack of loyalty and integrity. So let me tell you The Hunger Games is an example of money-hungry movie making.
- (Above point continued) So Let's revise- What happened in Mockingjay part 1? Katniss filmed some propaganda, she watched a hospital get bombed up and she got Peeta back in a brainwashed condition. Did I miss anything? Nope I don't think I did. Now let's revise what happened in Mockingjay part 2- a lot more then I can sum up in one sentence. Thus too little then too much. Part 1 was really slow-paced only for part 2 to turn around at a really fast pace with action constantly thrown at the audience. My thoughts.....................................
- (Continued) However, I do understand the producers and directors and screenwriters predicament- they couldn't really win. They could not make one film without taking dramatic liberties with the novel and they couldn't split one book in half to make 2 films that each had an ideal storyline with a build up, climax and resolution-the resolution obviously had to be saved for part 2. Also there were a few new characters in Mockingjay part 1, so if it wasn't a 2-part film we wouldn't have had the chance to empathize with some of them properly. So needless to say; it's no ones fault bringing a book to life on screen sadly has a time limit and it's difficult for people to work within those constraints. This is why I hate it when I watch a scene in a series like this that is completely unnecessary, When I do I have a conversation with my conscience that goes something along the lines of this-
UMMM LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT..............................
AND ESPECIALLY
They waste valuable time on scenes that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever! Yet, they expect a box office hit- Just know that when you pull crap like that the odds are certainly NOT in your favour.
- Dystopian films are very in- in fact it almost seems as though The Hunger Games is a trendsetter that set of this chain of dystopian films- as follows Divergent and The Maze Runner. It is a very controversial issue in the public eye, many of you draw parallels between all three films and ask- are Divergent and The Maze runner just lesser-rated and less-cherished versions of The Hunger Games? In my personal opinion, I think that the sudden urge for creating dystopian films certainly emerged from the popularity of The Hunger Games but NO, they are not the same, sure they have similar elements- factions vs districts, arena's (THG, TMR) experiments and risks taken for human survival, identity controlled by a higher power/lives that are not our own, corrupt societies and beloved deaths from the very first films (Rue, Chuck, Will- ring a bell?) and the list continues........ The point is each has different story arcs, characters, cinematography and mise-en-scene (everything you pretty much see on screen!) which are pretty much all the features used to make a film. So for all you divergent fans you should understand the most that everything in life is divergent, everything in life has two or more sides. NOTHING is one sided, NOTHING is the same.
![]() | ||||||
| Take a hint from a demigod himself! |
- Heavy themes that have been voiced from the very first film have consistently remained critical and contentious. However, these heavy themes escalated to a whole other level in one big blow or much rather one epic conclusion, so much so that in the last film the ending was simply the only light-heartened scene in the entire film. There were rarely tinges of comedy relief like in previous films and there's a simple answer as to why- The film was too tightly packed with action and drama and there was no room left for anything else. This is understandable, but when I saw Effie towards the end, hope was the first thing that entered my mind. I thought there would be a funny scene. I kept waiting and it never came but i'll go into a little more detail about this scene and my thoughts on it later on.
- What I love about the world of Panem and The Capitol, is that it's distinctive features that separate this fictional world from others has been consistent throughout the whole franchise. The unearthly and eccentric but rich and colourful styles of the capitol to the poor Workman and labourer attire of Panem. Also I love the way Collins and Lawrence (The director! not our Katnip) have given ancient ideas new life in this dystopian society combined with futuristic elements. A few I picked up on was the arena where they fight to the death which replicates the Roman Colosseum in which Gladiators fought to the death, then there was also the chariots seen in the 1st and 2nd film and then there was more subtle ancient implications that I picked up on, like in Catching Fire when a capitol resident offers Peeta a drink that will help him throw up so he can continue eating, this replicates the ancient Roman elite who when full would tickle there throats with a feather to throw up so they too could continue eating (Kind of despicable when you think about people dying from starvation). Oh then of course there is the classic ancient names- Seneca, Ceasar, Cinna, Claudius, Octavia, Cato and the list continues. Then there is also the issues of government such as tyrannnical rule that dates back most likely to the beginning of time itself. After this, I searched and discovered how many more ancient influences were used and was shocked to discover just how many.
- Then we have present day issues like implications of reality TV shows or the power of the media and government, kids competing against each other in a game show.
- Then we have the universal issues of a loss of innocence, power, hope, reality vs fiction and the implications of war.
- Then we have the futuristic elements- hovercraft, force fields and computerized threats such as the mutts in the first film.
- So Ancient ideas + futuristic technology+ current controversies + universal themes = The formula to a successful dystopian film.
Note- i'm sorry I wrote a lot more on the history facet of the film, I worship history!!!!!!!
NOW I'M GOING TO TAKE A BREAK FROM MY GIFS AND FUN TIME
Last one for now! I swear!
The beginning -
Sweet, sincere and sympathetic Peeta broke my heart in one sentence-
"All I Know Is That I Would've Saved Myself A Lot Of Suffering If I'd Just Given That Bread To The Pig."
Nonetheless i'm glad it was there- in Mockingjay part 1 when Peeta attacked Katniss my mind instantly reverted back to the scene in the book where he calls her a mutt who killed his family and destroys everything, in the book that hit me hard. I felt as though that was an intense prominent scene, so naturally if that wasn't in the film I was going to be disappointed and it wasn't. Only it did not occur to dense-minded me that would be in Mockingjay part 2. However, when this came in the beginning of Mockingjay part 2, to say the least I was not impressed.
When the epic conclusion to The Hunger Games franchise began I didn't know what to expect or how it would begin and I certainly wasn't expecting to laugh in the first five seconds of the film which opened on Katniss trying to talk after being choked by Peeta in the previous film. If they wished to start the film on that note, in terms of Peeta's brainwashing and being dehumanized I would've liked it if they went about it differently. Perhaps have Katniss walking away from Peeta with an anxious or fretful countenance with Peeta behind her and his words "Your a mutt, you killed my family" fading in the back of her mind. Then Perhaps afterwards she could go check her throat to see how well she can talk. I don't know, but anything other then the beginning we got I would've been happy.
Also, it made no sense to me whatsoever that Prim was the one to try calm Peeta down and make him rediscover who he was (She didn't know him that well to begin with), for the ones that already read the book and knew that Prim was to die it felt like the directors and producers felt it would make her death sadder if she was unnecessarily involved in more scenes in this film. Personally, it infuriates me when a scene is derailed by throwing in unnecessary characters who have no business being there It's a waste of time for the actors and actresses and the audience who are watching as I previously mentioned in my general note. Don't get me wrong i'm all for side or supporting characters but only when they have a purpose- that's why it made sense Effie was barely in this, it was sad but it made sense.
The acting-
Can I just say every character on point the whole way through- WOW!
Jennifer Lawrence- she never disappoints. J-Law's portrayal of Katniss is the equivalent to Frodo's ring in Lord Of The Rings in regards to the power it generates,
both have the power to ignite intense emotional responses from audiences and the characters on screen. From Film 1 to this her acting has been consistent with the character's journey. The scene after Prim's death where she was yelling at the cat if that didn't destroy you then you have no soul- utterly breathtaking and oscar-worthy :( I love her acting in the end where she speaks to her baby of the nightmares of her past, it shows how much she's matured. How when the war was over she was no longer a pawn in anyone's games she controlled the pieces on her own chessboard now.
Josh Hutcherson- His acting is the embodiment of dehumanized, brainwashed and confined. Honestly this was his best performance, his acting was tangible in that you could almost feel his struggle in trying to regain his memories.
Liam Hemsworth- WOW! you could feel his struggle in that Katniss was never going to love him in the way in which he wanted her to, so he turns to what he loves instead of who and makes that his priority, he focuses on helping protect people and the greater good and turning his life into a militaristic one. Hemsworth portrayed this character brilliantly, from innocent, vulnerable and fragile to willing to do anything to protect those he loves, then willing to do anything to protect the greater good. To the one that betrayed the one he loves. Honestly, in the end I didn't know what to make of his character.
Jennifer Lawrence- she never disappoints. J-Law's portrayal of Katniss is the equivalent to Frodo's ring in Lord Of The Rings in regards to the power it generates,
![]() |
| I'd certainly say the amount of emotions J-Law develops rules us all |
both have the power to ignite intense emotional responses from audiences and the characters on screen. From Film 1 to this her acting has been consistent with the character's journey. The scene after Prim's death where she was yelling at the cat if that didn't destroy you then you have no soul- utterly breathtaking and oscar-worthy :( I love her acting in the end where she speaks to her baby of the nightmares of her past, it shows how much she's matured. How when the war was over she was no longer a pawn in anyone's games she controlled the pieces on her own chessboard now.
Josh Hutcherson- His acting is the embodiment of dehumanized, brainwashed and confined. Honestly this was his best performance, his acting was tangible in that you could almost feel his struggle in trying to regain his memories.
Liam Hemsworth- WOW! you could feel his struggle in that Katniss was never going to love him in the way in which he wanted her to, so he turns to what he loves instead of who and makes that his priority, he focuses on helping protect people and the greater good and turning his life into a militaristic one. Hemsworth portrayed this character brilliantly, from innocent, vulnerable and fragile to willing to do anything to protect those he loves, then willing to do anything to protect the greater good. To the one that betrayed the one he loves. Honestly, in the end I didn't know what to make of his character.
The style-
- Revolutionary, story of the oppressed
- Filled with action and drama
- Those mutt-goblin things that killed Finnick were unrealistic, so CGI was a bit faulty
- Barely any comedy as you'd expect
- A lot of death
- Costuming based on social status, compare capitol clothing to Panem
| WHAT ELSE IS NEW!!!!! |
The romance-
In the end any chance Gale had of being with Katniss was severed by his betrayal of Katniss for Coin, even pointed out by Gale himself when he tells Katniss that he couldn't protect Prim. But in the end, I think the romantic triangle needed a mechanism in which it could be severed- Gale's betrayal did this and the scene where his betrayal is pointed out broke my heart or in other words it was an amazingly constructed scene; you could see it in the way Katniss' lack of eye contact with him. For me, I always had a hunch it was Peeta, even before reading it in the books, however I think other's needed convincing that Gale was completely singled out of the equation and that Peeniss (Most awkward couple name ever!) was endgame. However, I think Mockingjay part 2 foreshadowed that Katniss and Gale were NOT meant to be by showing Gale's militaristic and austere values and way of life and showing that he made this his priority- "it's war, Katniss. Sometimes killing isn't personal"- When Gale says this to Katniss it hints at the soldier's he's become hence why they'll never truly be together. Priority and matters of the heart are two very complex concepts especially when their muddled together.
The deaths-
Finnick's death- Can I just say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the moment he died a small part of my soul died. Sweet, charismatic noble Finnick will never see his wife again, he never saw his child once and he certainly will never steal a horse's sugar cube again! I honestly feel guilty for crying over this death more then Prim's but I couldn't help it. He sacrificed himself to save Katniss, he died the same way he lived nobly.
Prim's death- I was relieved and heartbroken at Jennifer Lawrence grieving scene where she was yelling and throwing things at the cat except her drooling at the end which was unsavory but did add to the overall dramatic effect. Honestly the way the first "She's gone" escalated to the last "she's gone" is witness to Jennifer Lawrence remarkably intense and heartfelt acting.
I think my reason for being heartbroken is quite self-evident but let me explain why I was relieved. Prim's death was sudden, except for those who read the books and saw it coming like me. The film cut out right after the bomb went off so we never saw Katniss' emotional response to her death which I hate!!! I personally think we should've seen her reaction before it cut out! For about 5-10 minutes I was confused and panicking- What's going on? She's not crying over her sister's death, so does she have amnesia? Is she gonna cry or what? But boy when the tears did eventually come it was raining down hard.
Prim and Katniss' constant need to protect Prim is the thematic concern that underlies the conflict of the series- Katniss volunteers for Prim, she goes in the games and begins to rebel- in the first film her and Peeta's threat to commit suicide if they weren't both crowned victors was seen as a threat to Snow, in the second film Katniss blows up the arena and then in the third and fourth film I think the acts of rebellion are quite self-evident. So needless to say, the entire series unraveled from one starting point and one action- Katniss' genuine love for her sister and volunteering for her at the reaping. So Prim's death reflects a confronting truth that affects katniss' life in the long-term and it came in one single blow- Katniss would now have to find a new way of living.
The villains
Snow- Honestly one of the best villains out there, right up the top with no-nose Voldemort and difficult grisly breather Darth Vader. The only Villain I laugh at and want to punch at the same time, Sutherland you Snarky, sly piece of shit! My favourite line- "we both know i'm not above killing children but i'm not wasteful"- I love the way he hides nothing about his true nature. I love the way he uses Roses to cover up his bloody stained mouth, turning the rose sickly sweet. He uses the metaphor for love, sweetness and purity to represent the exact opposite through his actions for example, the symbol of purity reflects how impure his mind is and how mentally insane he is. I love how even the minute he's about to die he laughs because he realizes that like he used Katniss and Peeta as pawns he too became a pawn the minute he was framed for killing innocent capitol children that included Prim. So Sutherland I have to say your performance is certainly one for the ages. After you no one could ever do your character justice.
Coin- At least we always knew Snow was evil whereas Coin unexpectedly turned out to be just as ruthless. Certainly not as interesting a villain as Snow but certainly her turn around and story arc was surprising for those that hadn't read the books at least. She was the true antagonist of the film. In the film I feel as though it should've been cleared up that Katniss believed Snow in saying Coin was the one to blame. However, if they did that her death wouldn't have been as nearly as interesting, so i'm satisfied with how it played out. I felt pretty bland when watching Moore's acting there was nothing about the character or acting that seemed to draw me in. Except her revelation that there should be another Hunger Games to appease the district citizens was the last straw for me in which I officially declared her character like Snow mentally insane. I do, however like how towards the end she was gullible enough to believe Katniss was on her side when she basically handed Katniss the opportunity to kill her. I have to say her death was the only one throughout the entire franchise that I took pleasure in watching.
Coin- At least we always knew Snow was evil whereas Coin unexpectedly turned out to be just as ruthless. Certainly not as interesting a villain as Snow but certainly her turn around and story arc was surprising for those that hadn't read the books at least. She was the true antagonist of the film. In the film I feel as though it should've been cleared up that Katniss believed Snow in saying Coin was the one to blame. However, if they did that her death wouldn't have been as nearly as interesting, so i'm satisfied with how it played out. I felt pretty bland when watching Moore's acting there was nothing about the character or acting that seemed to draw me in. Except her revelation that there should be another Hunger Games to appease the district citizens was the last straw for me in which I officially declared her character like Snow mentally insane. I do, however like how towards the end she was gullible enough to believe Katniss was on her side when she basically handed Katniss the opportunity to kill her. I have to say her death was the only one throughout the entire franchise that I took pleasure in watching.
Supporting characters
Effie- In the end Effie was humanized, we saw less of her in this film but when we eventually did we saw how even the most light-heartened character in this trilogy had been affected by the rebellion and how it turned her life to Grey despite the dazzling colour of her wigs. This shows the naturalism of the situation, it shows how frequently humour and happiness are missing from our lives and how life can be a constant struggle in trying to seek out humour and happiness. Often we see even in the darkest of films tinges of brightness and humor that acts as a light and beacon of hope for the characters on screen that bad things eventually lead us to good things. For example, I found it humorous when the star squad were watching there own death tributes on the Television because Snow believed they were dead. However, that gave them hope because for a little while it gave them an advantage over Snow. Other then that I didn't find anything else very funny except Coin's death.
Haymitch and Effie kiss!!!! I always felt as though something like this would happen, at least I hoped it would! I knew that all the playful disdain couldn't have been for nothing- so to quote John Green- it came slowly then all at once-But the main thing is IT CAME!
Haymitch- Throughout this franchise he was the one that made me laugh the most. Like Effie he wasn't as funny in this film because the rebellion turned his life upside down even though through his drunk state it probably looked that way 24/7 anyways. Just kidding, but in all serious it pained me to hear what Snow did to his family, I really empathized with his character when he revealed that. His ending was realistic in that he didn't do much but sit and drink but I was still hoping for more for this guy then what he got.
Prim-I don't think it was shield's portrayal, it's just the character I found boring, she didn't do much. The idea of her character was central to the story in that she was Katniss' motivation to volunteer for and win the games but other then that I didnt think she was significant at all.
Finnick- I can't even talk about him, if I do I will cry and not get through the rest of this. I know that's unfair i'm sorry but I can't do it.
Plutarch- First off I just want to say R.I.P Hoffman, to be honest I haven't seen many of your films but your portrayal in this one was astounding. The head gamemaker and then leader of the rebellion and then Secretary of Communications. You were the most inscrutable character in the entire franchise. I was uncertain of your motives and who's side you were on and you portrayed this character very well, I know because I was constantly suspicious of you and you always kept me on the edge of my seat.
In the ending time jump
The ending was utterly uplifting opposed to the erstwhile scenes which were heart-breaking and earnest.
So, in my opinion the epic ending time jump remains unmatched in film history.
It really shows how far they have come in attaining the life they always wanted, it came with sacrifice but all good and worthwhile things in life do.
"There are much worse games to play"- Katniss tells her newborn baby as she contemplates the nightmares of her past and so she is right. In all four films, her nightmares didn't end when she woke up but she promises her baby a better life then she had. In this last scene, the chemistry is undeniable between Katniss and her baby, Peeta and his child and even between Katniss and Peeta- they don't speak in this last scene but the way there eyes meet across the field makes it hard to believe anyone could ever doubt this couple (My only thought was Gale who?). In fact, in the last scene the relationship seemed so natural and genuine that it made me sad they are not a couple in real life and sad that in any series i've ever watched i've never seen a romance or love so slowly and cleverly developed throughout the entire franchise. This, time jump at the end reminded me of the one in Harry Potter which was so poorly constructed which is why I was so worried as to how this would play out. But yes, this ending by far surpasses the epic conclusion to the Harry Potter series and especially the Twilight Series and other series with an epic conclusion or time jump.
Only the controversial question still hangs in the balance even after we saw the end- was the fairytale ending befitting of our most beloved heroine? someone who held her own to the bitter end (evident through her repeated acts of rebellion). For example
SPOILER ALERT- DIVERGENT FANS TURN AWAY IF YOU LIKE SUPRISES WAY TOO MUCH- Veronica Roth in Divergent felt that Tris' ending wouldn't be satisfied by the typical fairytale ending and happily ever after because that wouldn't be doing justice to her character. Which is why she was killed off. So her life and her story arc is an ode to the old adage for the greater good.
But my answer is Yes, for Katniss specifically i'm happy with the ending she got, because it was not a fairytale ending, it was simply an ending of closure coming to terms with the fact there lives can't be perfect but in spite of all that's happened they can take comfort in what they have left. Katniss was seen as many things- the girl on fire, the face of a rebellion etc. - but mostly I saw her as a pawn, a pawn in the games and then a pawn in a much bigger game or rather a war. So i'm glad that this society could find peace and that Katniss could find herself, who she is when her own life is in her own hands.
Conclusion-I rate this film 3.5/5
So in terms of all the films, on my list this would rate number 3- NOT THE WORST, NOT THE BEST
- Catching Fire- has always been my go-to Hunger Games film
- The Hunger Games
- Mockingjay part 2
- Mockingjay part 1
So partying is such sweet sorrow
.....but with a heavy heart.....




0 comments